Sunday, April 18, 2010

Professional Large-Scale Environment

I was preparing to share a presentation, like so many other times I’ve done before in so many small environments. But this was no ordinary-sized venue—it was a super-sized large scale environment  of the extra-professional variety. As we drove in the parking lot to the back of the structure, it was one of those super-size warehouse looking buildings. We went in through the back.

Here I saw that there were many different rooms and/or studios backstage, each with different technical functions. There was a waiting room for speakers and others as they waited backstage. There was a lot of hustle and bustle. Soon someone came for me to show me around.

There was a balcony area where multi-media and sound system equipment sat next to a railing. This again was like so many other places I have been before, just on a larger scale. But this time I didn’t have to worry about checking out connections, setting up myself, etc. Other people were all doing it for me.

I was directed back to the speaking area… not in front where people could actually see me, but back in a back room in front of a camera. And not behind a podium. Strange… the way their speaker there typically spoke was by lying flat chest down on a bed/cushion type-structure facing forward to look into a camera and manipulate a variety of controls, etc. Of course, in a dream state all this seemed normal and not particularly out of the ordinary.

Again, all this was was ready/being tested for me. All I would have to do was to give the same talk and show the same presentation I could almost do in my sleep.

Except I had to have the thumb drive/laptop/notes with the presentation in them before I could hook into the marvelous super-professional environment all around me. In a moment of anxiety, I realized I might be in trouble as I didn’t appear to have it or anything else with me!

How might this dream fit into reality? I am anticipating feeling some pressure to carry on/develop an activity that was just started by others while I was away for a few months. The people coming so far are acquaintances of mine I’ve cultivated over time, so no pressure there. The pressure comes in knowing that I will be the only one of our team to carry on the normal office functions, to assimilate new contacts, as well as handle any other extra activity going on, travel for meetings, etc. with a few people offering suggestions and direction from the side. Perhaps I am feeling a little unprepared and overwhelmed in light of the challenge. But this is just a guess… can’t say for sure where the dream came from!

No comments: